- Pharmacy Certification
- Consumer Safety
- Contact Us
LegitScript Internet Pharmacy Certification
Are you a pharmacy merchant, website operator or advertiser? Let the world know that you operate safely and legally by getting LegitScript-certified.
I represent a pharmacy. Why should we get certified?
LegitScript certification helps ensure that you can fully participate in online advertising, e-commerce, and payment processing programs. Some entities — such as Visa, the credit card network — make certification mandatory for pharmacy merchants, with LegitScript one of only two recognized certifiers. Without certification from a recognized entity like LegitScript, many banks, advertising programs, social media platforms, and e-commerce websites will terminate your account.
- Accept credit card payments. Visa requires pharmacies to be certified by either LegitScript or the US National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) in order to maintain a merchant account.
- Do better in search. Google and Bing incorporate an online pharmacy verification tool — “Is it legit? Check out that pharmacy before you buy.” — operated by LegitScript into their front-page search results for prescription drugs or pharmacies. Also, LegitScript monitoring and data are used by all of the major search engines’ online advertising programs.
- Be trusted by patients. LegitScript’s Internet pharmacy verification tool is used by patients all around the world to determine who they can trust, and is the only third-party certification program recognized by the NABP.
- Improve your regulatory compliance. LegitScript’s expertise helps applicants identify and correct inadvertent errors in compliance with pharmacy law.
I’m an acquiring bank or payment facilitator. Why should I require my merchants to get certified by LegitScript?
LegitScript’s robust compliance program helps acquirers avoid fines and/or termination. LegitScript is just one of two certification authorities recognized by Visa, which makes certification mandatory for pharmacy merchants. What’s more, LegitScript continually monitors certified in-scope merchants and helps them to ensure ongoing compliance with emerging regulatory developments.
LegitScript certification is a value-added service for merchants and acquirers alike: LegitScript approval is known throughout the online advertising, social media, regulatory, and payment sectors as an important good-housekeeping seal. It also helps merchants in the highly regulated pharmacy market open doors in these sectors, and keep those doors open.
What kinds of merchants are in scope?
LegitScript’s program is available to any merchant engaged in selling pharmaceuticals to individuals, whether the sale is online or offline. The Visa requirement pertains to any merchant that may process “card-not-present” payments (i.e., the order is taken over the Internet, over the phone, or in some other remote way). Depending on the circumstance, it may also apply to pharmaceutical merchants selling to other businesses (B2B) or researchers. Contact us if you have questions about whether your business is in scope.
LegitScript’s Internet Pharmacy Certification Program applies to:
- Internet (online) pharmacies
- Brick-and-mortar pharmacies
- Compounding pharmacies
- Nuclear pharmacies
- Veterinary pharmacies
My pharmacy isn’t in the United States. Do you offer certification globally?
Yes. LegitScript pharmacy certification is a global program. Pharmacies in any country may apply, provided that you are adhering to the laws where you operate, and anywhere you offer to ship prescription drugs.
Got it. What do I need?
To get certified, simply use our Online Application. But first, you’ll want to collect some materials to make the process easier. You should have handy:
- A list of all of your pharmacy and pharmacist-in-charge licenses.
- A list of everywhere you offer to ship medicines.
- A list of all websites under your control (even those that are offline and not in use) and any affiliate websites.
You should also review our Internet pharmacy standards to make sure you meet them. Remember, you have to be operating in accordance with the laws and regulations in all jurisdictions to which you offer to ship drugs.
What is the cost of LegitScript pharmacy merchant certification?See our pricing page.
What else do I need to know?
We want the application process to be as pain-free for pharmacies as possible. Here are a few things that can make the process smoother.
- If you have a website, we will not approve an online pharmacy if the WhoIs (registrant) information for the website’s domain name is anonymous or privacy-protected. You can check whether your information is currently privacy-protected at whibse.com. If it is, just contact your domain name registrar and have the privacy protection removed. (This will also save you a little bit of money, in most cases.)
- We will not approve an online pharmacy that fills prescriptions solely on the basis of an online questionnaire, unless that practice is legal in all of the jurisdictions to which the online pharmacy provides services.
- We do not approve websites sourcing prescription drugs in a way that the FDA or its foreign counterparts has indicated is contrary to law (e.g., “Canadian” or other foreign pharmacy websites shipping into the US, or websites marketing unapproved drugs to Japan, irrespective of pharmacy licenses).
Did you know?
According to our database, there are over 40,000 online pharmacies in operation.