Healthcare Merchant Certification from LegitScript is an important service for merchants and acquirers.
LegitScript approval is known throughout the online advertising, social media, regulatory, and payment sectors; it is recognized by Visa, Mastercard, Google, Bing, and others. Certification helps merchants in highly regulated healthcare markets open doors in these sectors and keep those doors open.
Who Healthcare Merchant Certification applies to:
- Pharmacies: including internet pharmacies, mail order pharmacies, brick-and-mortar pharmacies, local pharmacies with remote dispensing, internet veterinary pharmacies, and sterile compounding pharmacies.
- Telemedicine Providers that facilitate prescribing. Learn more about how certification can specifically benefit telemedicine and telehealth providers.
- Supply Chain Businesses: including pharmaceutical manufacturers, wholesalers, and distributors.
- Other Healthcare Merchants: including price comparison websites/apps, and discount pharmacy websites/apps.
LegitScript also provides certification for eyewear merchants. Learn more about iCareRX Certification.
Why Choose LegitScript
LegitScript Certification helps ensure that you can fully participate in online advertising, e-commerce, and payment processing programs. Some credit card networks, such as Visa and Mastercard, make certification mandatory for pharmacy merchants, with LegitScript being an industry recognized certifier. Without certification from a recognized entity like LegitScript, many banks, advertising programs, social media platforms, and e-commerce websites will terminate your account.
Adhere to Credit Card Requirements
Visa and Mastercard recognize LegitScript’s certification program as meeting their policy requirements for pharmacy merchant certification and monitoring.
Improve your Regulatory Compliance
Operate under applicable laws and regulations. LegitScript’s expertise helps applicants identify and correct inadvertent errors in compliance with pharmacy regulators.
Participate in Online Advertising
Promote your business online. LegitScript Certification is recognized by major internet advertising platforms, including Google, Bing, and GoodRx.
Be Trusted by Patients
Let patients know that you operate safely and legally. LegitScript’s healthcare product and website verification tool is used by patients around the world to determine who they can trust.
LegitScript’s robust compliance program helps acquirers avoid fines and/or termination. LegitScript is an authority recognized by Visa and Mastercard, which makes certification mandatory for pharmacy merchants. What’s more, LegitScript continually monitors certified in-scope merchants and helps them to ensure ongoing compliance with emerging regulatory developments.
Protect Your Portfolio
Keep your portfolio clean by identifying and removing rogue merchants from using your services.
Onboard With Confidence
Certification policies from Visa and Mastercard mean you can quickly underwrite and safely onboard high-risk CNP pharmacy merchants who are certified. This can help open up additional business opportunities with trusted pharmacy merchants who were previously considered too high-risk to onboard.
Get International Coverage
The internet is global. So is your company. LegitScript’s healthcare merchant and product standards are international. You can depend on experts who understand policies and regulations spanning high-risk sectors across the globe.
Reduce the risk of expensive fines by ensuring pharmacies, telemedicine providers, and other healthcare merchants are properly licensed and operating under applicable laws and regulations.
Work with a Trusted Partner
LegitScript’s certification and monitoring program is recognized by Visa and Mastercard to ensure you and your merchants stay in compliance with GBPP and BRAM requirements. We are trusted by government agencies and leading enterprise companies, including the FDA, Google, Microsoft-Bing, Facebook, Amazon, and others around the world.
Roman Health Testimonial
Learn from Roman Health co-founder Zachariah Reitano why his telemedicine business got LegitScript-certified and why he recommends it.
How It Works
LegitScript's Healthcare Merchant Certification ensures that companies selling medicines, pharmaceuticals, telemedicine services, and other healthcare products are in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. Many of the world’s leading companies require or recognize LegitScript Certification.
If you are an advertiser or a merchant, what do you need to know?
- You can apply for LegitScript Certification here.
- An initial review will take place in the first couple of weeks.
- Once you are certified, you’ll be searchable on our website as legitimate.
- You can also display the LegitScript Seal of Approval!
- You can’t just get certified and then drop out of the program: ongoing monitoring is required.
- You have to comply with the laws 1) where you ship or operate from, and 2) anywhere you offer to ship to. (Hint: if you don’t comply with the laws everywhere you offer to ship to, remove those countries from the drop-down menu you provide to customers.)
- If you operate a website, you can’t use an anonymous domain name registration.
For more information, please refer to our Certification Standards, Healthcare Merchant Certification Terms and
Conditions, and our Merchant and Website Classification Guide.
LegitScript Certification pricing has three tiers, which are differentiated by the level of complexity in reviewing and monitoring the pharmacy. Pricing depends in part on how many jurisdictions into which you ship, dispensing locations you have, and licenses you have.
|Application Fee*||Annual Fee|
This category is for informational websites and for pharmacies that have a very limited internet presence, only accepting refills (but not new prescriptions) online. Business models applicable to this category include:
- Pharmacies that do not operate a website or pharmacies that have a website without a mechanism for requesting a prescription (telemedicine services) or pharmaceuticals AND have only one dispensing location, license, or shipping jurisdiction.
- Pharmacies that have a website that facilitates refills or transfers (but not new prescriptions), AND have only one dispensing location, license, or shipping jurisdiction.
|Application Fee*||Annual Fee|
This category is the default category for most business models, and includes: websites that accept refills, transfers, or new prescriptions; telemedicine services; hospitals; pharmaceutical manufacturers, wholesalers, and distributors; or pharmacies that fill via mail-order or some other form of remote ordering service. This is also for any pharmacy that would otherwise be in Category A, but has more than one dispensing locations, licenses, or shipping jurisdictions.
- Traditional internet pharmacies (prescription or OTC)
- Mail-order pharmaceuticals or medicines
- Prescription drug price comparison services
- Telemedicine services
- Doctor clinics
- Pharmaceutical wholesalers and distributors
- Pharmaceutical manufacturers (including virtual manufacturers)
- Any pharmacy or clinic has more than one dispensing locations, licenses or shipping jurisdictions
- Discount card/Cost-savings websites
|Application Fee*||Annual Fee|
This category is reserved for complex business models that take more time or expertise to review, such as sterile compounding, nuclear pharmacy, or online veterinary pharmacies.
- Complex pharmacy practice
- Veterinary pharmacies
* The application fee is non-refundable.